Thread: Hunchback headed for Broadway?

Default Hunchback headed for Broadway?

Dear Stephen:

After listening to the music and watching YouTubes of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I became most fascinated with this haunting musical opera. After some fancy Googling, I clicked on the Stephen Schwartz website... and here I am! I instantly fell in love with your wonderful answers to the many questions about the creation of your music.

The economy is tough-going now, and many lights have dimmed on Broadway, but as an avid theatre-goer, I would love to know if Hunchback will ever come to Broadway. It would be spectacular!!!

Have a most Happy and Healthy New Year!!

Administrator

Dear Shana:

Thanks for writing. At this point I'm unaware of any plans to bring Hunchback to Broadway, though I agree with you - it would be a wonderful thing! So while I can't say "never", it certainly won't be happening in the very near future. All we can do is hope! Best,

Michael

Dear Michael:

Thank you so much for responding. There is always "hope." I take it as a good omen that you wrote "very near future," as opposed to "near future." The former sounds more promising. *g*

Shana

On the same note, chiming in with a rumor that Stephen can either confirm, deny, or offer any remote knowledge of, I heard Craig Lucas was working on retooling the book with an aim toward a Broadway run. Do you guys know anything about this?

Administrator

Again, I'm unaware of any plans for a Broadway production of Hunchback, so I can't confirm or deny this rumor.

Best,

Michael